[syslog-ng] is it exist some way to extract the filename listened by file() ?

Jorge Pereira jpereiran at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 05:26:24 UTC 2017

Hi Team,

Well, I am working on a POC using the syslog-ng 3.7.1, basically, I have
many of log files that the filename is /path/<file> and I need to append
the file name into the syslog payload.

My current approach is.

1. I have the below destination() receiving the file name as a parameter.

<snip>
block destination d_collector_with_fn(__filename("")) {
    tcp("192.168.2.44"
        port(514)
        keep-alive(on)
        template("$DATE $HOST $MSGHDR $(format-json --scope selected_macros
            \
                                                    --exclude TAGS
             \
                                                    --exclude DATE
             \
                                                    --exclude PRIORITY
             \
                                                    --exclude FACILITY
             \
                                                    --exclude SOURCEIP
             \
                                                    --exclude PROGRAM
            \
                                                    --pair
SYSLOG_WEBAPP_DOMAIN='`__filename`'  \
                                                    --pair SOURCE=${SOURCE}
        )\n")
        template-escape(no)
    );
};
</snip>

2. My simple script called by confgen create some dynamic "log {}"
statements listening to the files and appending the filename as a parameter
to the d_collector_with_fn()

<snip>
log {
        source {
                file("/path/thisisafile001.net"
                        program_override("mytag")
                        follow_freq(1)
                        flags(no-parse)
                );
        };
        destination {
                d_collector_with_fn(__filename("thisisafile001.net"));
        };
};

log {
        source {
                file("caipirinha4ever.net"
                        program_override("mytag")
                        follow_freq(1)
                        flags(no-parse)
                );
        };
        destination {
                d_collector_with_fn(__filename("caipirinha4ever.net"));
        };
};

</snip>

But, I have more than 5k files and my current approach creating multiples
log { } statement resulting in one connection to the collector by each
file!!! in this case, I have 5k connections... this is terrible, someone
has some other suggestion? exist some way to catch the filename by some
internal ${variable} and pass for a single destination()?

--
Jorge Pereira