[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng Multiple Instances

David Campeau David.Campeau at tn.gov
Tue Jun 28 18:56:06 CEST 2016

Hello,

I've been using syslog-ng to filter syslog before forwarding on to a log collector. However, I need to spin up a second instance for testing purposes. I've found a little bit of information on-line, but it hasn't completed the entire picture.

This is the command used to start up the 2nd instance. I'm pointing to separate .conf .persist .pid and .ctl files -- However, it's still not working. I suspect the issue is due to OS log sources. How do a change log sources?

syslog-ng --cfgfile=/usr/local/bin/syslog-ng-Second-Instance/syslog-ng.conf --persist-file=/usr/local/bin/syslog-ng-Second-Instance/syslog-ng.persist --pidfile=/usr/local/bin/syslog-ng-Second-Instance/syslog-ng.pid --control=/usr/local/bin/syslog-ng-Second-Instance/syslog-ng.ctl &

This is the upper part of the syslog-ng.conf file for the 2nd instance I wish to run.

@version: 3.3.4
@include "scl.conf"
    options {
        time-reap(30);
        mark-freq(10);
        keep-hostname(yes);
        chain-hostnames(no);
        use-dns(no);
##       log-fifo-size(500000);                ## Tuning Options
##      flush_lines(10000);                   ## Tuning Options
##       flush_timeout(10000);                ## Tuning Options
    };

        source s_second_instance {
        syslog(transport("udp") port("518"));       #### Will receive test syslog on port 518
        };

    destination d_syslog_udp {
        syslog("10.X.X.X"
            transport("udp")
            port("514")
            throttle(4000)
        );
    };

I'm hoping someone has experience or has seen information on how to run a 2nd instance on the same box.

Best Regards,

David