[syslog-ng] Custom plugin/module

Dmitry Shmulevich dima8080 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 08:47:22 CEST 2016

Hello,

I'm looking for an advice.

I'm sending the logs from my machine to a third-party server. The protocol
between the client (syslog-ng service) and the third-party server is quite
simple: for each received log entry the server replies with a confirmation
message on the same tcp socket.
Currently I'm using a simple syslog-ng config to send logs via network
driver to a specified ip/port. However, since syslog-ng service doesn't
receive/read the messages from the server, the connection eventually dies.

Is there any way to modify syslog-ng config to allow reads after writes? I
didn't find anything similar in the documentation.

An alternative way seems to be implementing a syslog-ng module or a plugin.
Would that be the right approach?
It seems that I can customize _LogProtoClient structure, and create a
plugin. But I have no clue on how the overall API looks like, and what are
the steps to build the module.

Could you guys point me to the right resources?
Is there any sample plugin, or a guidance for developing custom plugins?

Thank you in advance,
Dmitry