[syslog-ng] Module development guide

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Tue Jan 26 08:35:50 CET 2016

 ❦ 26 janvier 2016 08:20 +0100, "Scheidler, Balázs" <balazs.scheidler at balabit.com> :

> Well, LogWriter assumes a specific semantics from the underlying
> transport. Async APIs usually give you access to the fd, and the
> needed I/O event mask. If that's the case, you can probably integrate
> it to syslog-ng's mainloop, which is ivykis based (an async event
> lib).

librdkafka is able to give access to the underlying file descriptor, so
it should be OK. I thought that LogWriter assumed that you'll have to
format packets yourself, hence my question.

> Can you explain your use-case why the existing kafka destination is
> not good enough? Is it performance, is it java?

It's Java and its memory footprint.
--
Rebellion lay in his way, and he found it.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Henry IV"