[syslog-ng] GSoC 2016: Project: syslog-ng for Python
balazs.scheidler at balabit.com
Fri Feb 19 16:44:07 CET 2016
I do have a lot of ideas with regards to syslog-ng and Python, but I am
sure the others do as well. So here's my list of ideas, just pick one :)
and push the others to publish theirs. I didn't know about gsoc 2016, is
the syslog-ng project listed already?
So my ideas:
- extend/complete the LogMessage wrapper in Python, so that it is more
usable. Right now attributes reference name-value pairs, but this may not
be the best idea for the following reasons:
- name-value pairs may contain dots and other special characters that
are not valid Python identifiers
- it would make sense to publish the value-pairs functionality from
the Python code (e.g. return an iterator on a specific value-pairs
parameter set and a message)
- template based formatting
- make it possible to write a parser in Python (several use-cases
- make it possible to write a Python based source
- make it possible to write rewrite operations
- extend the debugger to be more complete (some parts in C, others in
- would be nice to have real breakpoints and step/next commands like
- conditional breakpoints
- attach to the debugger console while runtime (syslog-ng-ctl debug)
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Amar Budhiraja <amar.budhiraja1 at gmail.com>
> Hi mentors ,
> I am an undergraduate student at IIIT-Hyderabad, India and I am interested
> in the project proposed by Mr Budai on having syslog-ng for Python. Last
> year, I interacted with Mr Zoltan about the project of monitoring syslog-ng
> via an android application. However, I couldn't make it.
> I consider myself to be fairly proficient in both C and Python. I have had
> several assignments in both C and Python both in and out of course work. I
> developed a entire bash terminal in C in my sophomore year. I also
> developed an application layer protocol in C in the same apart from several
> minor course projects .
> I have been working on Python for about 3 year now. I developed a Q/A
> engine, multiple web apps and implemented the entire Adwords (Google's
> Search Engine Advertising Framework) for my research paper in Python apart
> from other projects. Some of my work is available at
> I also have good understand of syslog-ng at a user level. I am interested
> in the syslog-ng for Python project. My interest comes from the fact that I
> will get to learn and build a multi-language system.
> Can you please guide me on how to move forward with the same?
> Amar Budhiraja
> Member info: https://lists.balabit.hu/mailman/listinfo/syslog-ng
> FAQ: http://www.balabit.com/wiki/syslog-ng-faq
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the syslog-ng