[syslog-ng] GSoC 2016: Project: syslog-ng for Python

Scheidler, Balázs balazs.scheidler at balabit.com
Fri Feb 19 16:44:07 CET 2016

Hi,

I do have a lot of ideas with regards to syslog-ng and Python, but I am
sure the others do as well. So here's my list of ideas, just pick one :)
and push the others to publish theirs. I didn't know about gsoc 2016, is
the syslog-ng project listed already?

So my ideas:

   - extend/complete the LogMessage wrapper in Python, so that it is more
   usable. Right now attributes reference name-value pairs, but this may not
   be the best idea for the following reasons:
      - name-value pairs may contain dots and other special characters that
      are not valid Python identifiers
      - it would make sense to publish the value-pairs functionality from
      the Python code (e.g. return an iterator on a specific value-pairs
      parameter set and a message)
      - template based formatting
   - make it possible to write a parser in Python (several use-cases
   already)
   - make it possible to write a Python based source
   - make it possible to write rewrite operations
   - extend the debugger to be more complete (some parts in C, others in
   Python):
      - would be nice to have real breakpoints and step/next commands like
      in gdb
      - conditional breakpoints
      - attach to the debugger console while runtime (syslog-ng-ctl debug)

Cheers,