[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.7.x support on armv7 architecture

Scheidler, Balázs balazs.scheidler at balabit.com
Mon Feb 15 11:03:40 CET 2016

Either try to use a native compilation (like Czanik P recommended), or
let's troubleshoot the toolchain issue.

The error messages up there seems to indicate some problem in the assembly
output generated by gcc. You could check that by asking gcc to output an
assembly file (and not use a temporary) using the -S switch to gcc.

Basically you should get the gcc command line that fails using:

$ make V=1

This will enable verbose logging, and all commands will be printed by make.
Copy-paste the command line and
1) supply an additional -S option, and
2) locate and change the -o option to specify a output file name that you
can investigate (e.g. -o foobar.s)

Then locate the lines 260 and 269, which cause the assembler to fail. You
should be able to reproduce the problem by reassembling the same file:

$ as <filename>.s

Just by googling the error message I've found:

https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2014/05/28/msg036820.html

Which is a netbsd error report, but nevertheless probably a genuine bug in
gcc 4.8.3

And also a syslog-ng specific workaround here:

https://git.congatec.com/yocto/meta-openembedded/commit/c0ce7599526c4dce6d889fc4a5aa007f445e6d76

The 2nd seems to indicate that although the __thread keyword exists, it
doesn't work. The patch in the 2nd link is not the best one, but if you are
willing to test patches, I can work in improving it.

Hope this helps,