[syslog-ng] running syslog-ng as non root user

Ryan Koss rkoss at 128technology.com
Sat Feb 13 21:50:36 CET 2016

Hello,

I’m trying to run syslog-ng as a non-root user.  I’ve tried the following command as suggested by the site at the following URL https://www.balabit.com/wiki/syslog-ng-faq-non-root <https://www.balabit.com/wiki/syslog-ng-faq-non-root>  Unfortunately I am still encountering permissions issues.

?-> /usr/sbin/syslog-ng --user user --persist-file /code/routeiqSyslog/i95/build/src/lib/util/test/syslog-ng.persist
syslog-ng: Error setting capabilities, capability management disabled; error='Operation not permitted'
Error binding socket; addr='AF_UNIX(/dev/log)', error='Address already in use (98)'
Error initializing message pipeline;
?->

Any ideas, thoughts help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-ryan