[syslog-ng] filtering vs. keeping all logs

Czanik, Péter peter.czanik at balabit.com
Thu Apr 28 13:23:51 CEST 2016

Hi,

I was asking, because up until now I recall a single syslog-ng user, who
told me, that he saves all log messages. On the other hand I keep receiving
(marketing) e-mails, that no logs should be discarded, everything should be
saved. And sometimes I receive the same feedback from the Big Data world:
we have enough disk space, why to do any filtering. So I'd be interested to
learn from real world experiences, if filtering is really old fashioned or
is there any situation (compliance requirement, endless storage, etc.) when
you really save all log messages.

Bye,

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
Balabit / syslog-ng upstream