[syslog-ng] question on elasticsearch & indexint structured data fields

Fabien Wernli wernli at in2p3.fr
Fri Sep 11 09:50:54 CEST 2015

Hi Jim,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 05:00:07PM -0400, jrhendri at roadrunner.com wrote:
> I would like to be able to have each field recognized separately so that kibana could search for specific things like "source-address", etc. I thought these would be available under the .SDATA. set, but apparently I missed something.
>
> Is this possible (and I am just lacking understanding) or am I expecting too much?

It's pretty much how it should work. As you can see from
the 3.7 online guide, it's the `message_template` controls the fields which
will be indexed in Elasticsearch. It's looking good in your example.

> These are the last three tests I have used within the elasticsearch destination and they all essentially result in the same thing.

* Could you show us the full configuration?
* Before looking into Kibana, you should use the elasticsearch API to list the
  fields e.g. by checking the mapping, dumping a document by id, or
  searching: (respectively)

  curl 0:9200/<index>
  curl 0:9200/<index>/_search

You're welcome to join #syslog-ng on freenode or #balabit/syslog_ng on gitter so we could move forward more quickly

Cheers