[syslog-ng] log_fetch_limit

Scheidler, Balázs balazs.scheidler at balabit.com
Fri Nov 20 06:45:55 CET 2015

Hi,

You dont need to bother with log-fetch-limit() as that parameter is there
to avoid starvation if a connection is continuously sending messages
without a pause. This is needed as a single thread handles multiple
connections and if one sends messages continuously the rest wouldnt get a
chance.

If all input connections send a single message then I wouldnt bother with
so-rcvbuf either. And not with TCP anyway.

You might want to increase max-connections though to accept potential peaks.

Sending one message per TCP connection is not really ideal performance wise
though, 250 msg/sec is not much if connections are kept alive. Isn't
running syslog-ng or something else on the client feasible? One that would
keep the connection for longer term?