[syslog-ng] format-json reverse order?

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Mon Nov 2 06:39:31 CET 2015

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Scheidler, Balázs
<balazs.scheidler at balabit.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've encountered a case where format-json orders keys not alphabetically,
> but rather in the other direction. Can you remember any reason for that?

It's for the flat format => structured format conversion. Consider you
have keys like a.b.c, a.b.d, a.b.e, a.c.a, a.c.f. With reverse
sorting, you get a.c.f first, and generate an f key, then a, and
collect that into c. Then you get the b stuff, and then wrap them all
in a. It may be possible to do it the other way around, generating a
first, and extending it, but this order is more straightforward in my
opinion.

I also seem to remember needing this for array support, but I'm not
exactly sure of that.

As for getting rid of sorting: that'd just make things slower in the
end, unless syslog-ng starts storing its key-value pairs in an already
structured format. But even then, my gut feeling is that sorting is
still faster. If the data is unsorted, you'd have to hunt down where
to insert the new keys, possibly deep into other structures. That
sounds very inefficient. Also considerably more code.