[syslog-ng] Regex Solaris from Linux hosts in Syslog-ng config file

Jakub Jankowski shasta at toxcorp.com
Sun Nov 1 11:57:13 CET 2015

On 30.10.2015 16:15, PÁSZTOR György wrote:
> Hello vijay,
>
> "Evan Rempel" <erempel at uvic.ca> írta 2015-10-29 17:54-kor:
>> Before I get too deep into how this is done, can I ask why you want to
>> separate your logs for solaris and linux?
>>

>> On 10/29/2015 01:06 PM, vijay amruth wrote:
>>> Thank you Evan.
>>>
>>> Right now, we add a solaris server everytime we spin one,
>>>
>>> its like this,
>>>
>>> filter f_solaris {
>>>         host('x.x.x.x') or host('x.x.x.2') or
>>>         host('x.x.x.3') or host('x.x.x.4') or
>>>         host('hostname1) or (hostname2)
>>>         }
>>>
>>> So everytime we spin a server we just go and add it manually to the
>>> config file, either with its host name or the ip.
>>> I want to be able to automate with filter functions and or regex so
>>> that I don't have to add manually to the config file on the server
>>> everytime.
>>> There is a similar config for linux hosts too
>>>
>>> Hope I am clear. Appreciate you taking your time out for this.
> [... snip ...]
>
> I can not imagine a solution, why should linux and solaris clients have the
> same config.
> But if we assume this ridiculous idea, and the only distinction you have
> the IP address list, you still have an option to handle this situation
> well:
> If the receiving machine is a linuxbox, then you can create an iptables
> rule, and match for linux clients, and DNAT the logs, which would come to
> this imaginary 1001 port, and redirect them to port 1002.
> and do another dnat rule, which would match for solaris client and would
> redirect trafic which would come to port 1001 to reach port 1003.
> A simple example:
> iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -s 1.2.3.4 -m tcp -p tcp --dport 1001 -j REDIRECT --to-port 1002
>
> A better solution, if you do not match the linux clients based on this kind
> of single IP address. Use an ipset match rule instead of this.
> In that case you need only two iptables rule, and some ipset maintenance.
> eg. the mentioned iptables rule would be this:
> iptables -t nat -I PREROUTIGN -m set --match-set linux src -m tcp -p tcp --dport 1001 -j REDIRECT --to-port 1002
>
> And the set creation:
> ipset create linux hash:ip
> ipset add linux 1.2.3.4
> ipset add linux 1.2.3.5
>
> Once you are done with that you can save the rules, and restore them on
> boot time.
> Saving:
> ipset save >/etc/myipset
> Restoring:
> ipset restore </etc/myipset
> Some thing, you need to care about:
> Do first the restore, and then to load the iptables rule!
> The iptables rule need the ipset to be already created. It does not matter
> if you did not load any entry into it. But it will not allow your iptables
> rule regarding a set, until the set not exists.

Well, how is this any better than specifying client's IP
addresses/hostnames in syslog-ng.conf?
> I hope you have enough lego blocks in your hand now to solve the problem in
> an effective way! ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
> Gyu

Let me suggest another idea: if Vijay has control over client's
hostname, you could devise a simple host naming scheme, where you encode
some metadata in client's hostname, for example: you could name all
Solaris client's with a hostname that starts with "s", and all Linux
clients with a hostname that starts with "l", then it's dead easy to
match that in syslog-ng configuration. Downside is that it is painful to
introduce. But you could use a mixed approach, where all the existing
clients keep their hostnames (and you put them explicitly in the
filter), and all the new ones get named with this naming scheme.

HTH

--
Jakub Jankowski|shasta at toxcorp.com|http://toxcorp.com/
GPG: FCBF F03D 9ADB B768 8B92 BB52 0341 9037 A875 942D