[syslog-ng] odd configuration file

craig bowser reswob10 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 21:30:16 CEST 2015

Hi, I'm just learning about configuring syslog-ng.  I'm using the latest
version (info at end of email) and I've run into an error I can't figure
out.  I made a syntax error in my syslog-ng.conf that caused syslog-ng to
fail to start.  I corrected the error, but now when I try and start
syslog-ng, it still fails.

trying to start it with 'service syslog-ng start' or 'service syslog-ng
restart' gets me:  Job for syslog-ng.service failed. See "systemctl status
syslog-ng.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

But the error is buried in the systemd logs.  Using '/usr/sbin/syslog-ng
-F'  gets me the following error:

Error resolving reference; content='source', name='s_name',
location='/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf:132:7'

What is that file?  Can I safely delete it?  Why can't I make it use the
new .conf file?  When I try '/usr/sbin/syslog-ng -f
/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf  -F'   I get the same error.

syslog-ng 3.5.6
Installer-Version: 3.5.6
Revision: 3.5.6-2 [@416d315] (Ubuntu/15.04)
Compile-Date: Oct 25 2014 14:14:32
Available-Modules:
afuser,afsocket-notls,linux-kmsg-format,afprog,tfgeoip,csvparser,confgen,afamqp,json-plugin,redis,basicfuncs,afsmtp,affile,afsql,afmongodb,cryptofuncs,afsocket-tls,afsocket,syslogformat,afstomp,system-source,dbparser
Enable-Debug: off
Enable-GProf: off
Enable-Memtrace: off
Enable-IPv6: on
Enable-Spoof-Source: on
Enable-TCP-Wrapper: on
Enable-Linux-Caps: on
Enable-Pcre: on

Craig L Bowser

This email is measured by size.  Bits and bytes may have settled during
transport.