[syslog-ng] plugin options for Riak destination

Parth Oberoi htrapdev at gmail.com
Tue May 19 13:20:48 CEST 2015

Hello everyone,

In order to build a riak destination , the first task is to figure out the
options syslog-ng plugin  would need to understand, For this we have
considered the
following two use cases

1) Inserting each log message into its own unique key.A templatable bucket
would store
    keys(time-stamps) and its respective values(log messages)

2) Inserting each log message into a Set contained under a key.
    In order to use a set we need to have a bucket type as "set".Rest is
similar to the first case.

To switch between the two cases an option mode() is used with parameters
"set" for using a
set (2nd case) and "store" for the first case.

Here is a config snippet for the destination:

destination d_riak {
  riak(
    server("localhost")
    port(8087)
    bucket-type("message")
    bucket("logs_${YEAR}${MONTH}${DAY}")
    key("${UNIXTIME}-$(uuid)")
    value("$(format-json --scope selected-macros)")
    mode("set")
  );
};

I would really like to know if the users would prefer to set the mode and
bucket type as separate
options or  as sub-options under  bucket() as below:

destination d_riak {
  riak(
    server("localhost")
    port(8087)
    bucket("logs_${YEAR}${MONTH}${DAY}" type("message") mode("store"))
    key("${UNIXTIME}-$(uuid)")
    value("$(format-json --scope selected-macros)")
  );
};

Any other feedback on the topic is also welcome.

Thanks,
Parth