[syslog-ng] Feedback for GSoC project - RIak Destination for Syslog-ng

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Tue May 5 13:01:20 CEST 2015

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Meiklejohn <cmeiklejohn at basho.com> writes:

    Christopher> I’m a bit concerned with your use of the set embedded in the
    Christopher> map.

The original idea was to use a Set directly. The Set-in-Map thing was
just a thought experiment (Map-in-Set would make more sense).

    Christopher> Large objects have traditionally been a big problem in Riak due
    Christopher> to the use of distributed Erlang and head of line blocking. I’m
    Christopher> curious if you could elaborate on what type of data you will be
    Christopher> storing in the set: how big you expect each item to be, how big you
    Christopher> expect the map to be, and the overall layout of data inside of the
    Christopher> data structure.

The intention is to store log messages in each element of the set:
either as a string (syslog or json, or whatever else the user sees fit),
or as a map of key-value pairs (where values themselves can be maps
too).

On average, the log messages are a few kilobytes in size. There may be
exceptions, but >1mb ones are fairly rare. How much data the set would
hold... now that's a question that can't really be answered. It is
really up to the syslog-ng user to configure that.

Hope that made it a little more clear.