[syslog-ng] Incompatible Version Warnings

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Mon Mar 9 08:33:29 CET 2015

    Dan> [2015-03-06T20:47:33.096495] WARNING: Your configuration uses a newly
    Dan> introduced reserved word as identifier, please use a different name or
    Dan> enclose it in quotes before upgrading; keyword='channel',
    Dan> config-version='3.3', version='3.4', filename='source confgen system',
    Dan> line='1:1'
    Dan> Error parsing source, source plugin channel not found in source confgen
    Dan> system at line 1, column 1:
    Dan> included from
    Dan> /usr/local/etc/syslog-ng.conf line 27, column 9

    Dan> channel
    Dan> ^^^^^^^

That is expanded from system(). If you change your @version from 3.3 to
3.4, the config will work. Alternatively, you can replace system() with
something that does not expand to a block using 3.4+ features. With
syslog-ng 3.6, comes a system-expand tool
(modules/system-source/system-expand) that can help you with that.

    Dan> Finally, I should probably ask -- since syslog-ng has the ability to tag
    Dan> your config files with a given version, is there a way to say "use this
    Dan> config if you're on 3.4 and this version if you're on 3.6", so I can stay
    Dan> compatible with the various versions I've got deployed.

There are a few ways you can do that:

1) Using an environment variable and @include

@include "/etc/syslog-ng/`SYSLOG_NG_VERSION`/main.conf"

Assuming SYSLOG_NG_VERSION is either 3.4 or 3.6, you'd have your config
in /etc/syslog-ng/3.4/main.conf or /etc/syslog-ng/3.6/main.conf. All you
have to do, is set the appropriate environment variable. You can teach
your init script to do that:

export SYSLOG_NG_VERSION="$(syslog-ng -V | head -n 1 | cut -d" " -f2 | cut -d. -f1,2)"

2) Using puppet, a template and @include

Instead of an environment variable, you can use a puppet template to put
the appropriate version include in the config file.

3) Using puppet, an @include snippet and more @includes

Instead of a template, you can also use puppet to copy either a 3.4
config, or a 3.6 config to the right place, depending on host. A variant
of this is to copy both, and generate (or copy) a file that has the
syslog-ng version.

So, if you copy /etc/syslog-ng/conf.d/version.conf, which has:

@define sng-version "3.4"

And in the main config you do @include
"/etc/syslog-ng/`sng-version`/main.conf", that works too.

I would likely copy the appropriate config with puppet, that seems to be
the cleanest. Though, the first option of using an environment variable
is the most flexible, and requires the least amount of maintenance.