[syslog-ng] Use receiving file name / path as a macro on the server

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Tue Mar 3 13:41:33 CET 2015

    Thanuje> I have multiple files with the same content on the syslog-ng client
    Thanuje> These files are stored on different locations with the same file name and
    Thanuje> same content
    Thanuje> After receiving I want to store these files with different names on
    Thanuje> sysog-ng server
    Thanuje> Is there any way I could use the filepath or filename of the receiving file
    Thanuje> as a macro
    Thanuje> or any way to achieve this..?

When sending the message, the $FILE_NAME macro contains the path of the
file. You can add it to the template on the sending end, and extract it
on the receiving end, and use that as you will.

The easiest way to accomplish this is either $(format-json) (and
json-parser() on the other end), or using RFC 5424 syslog(), and setting
SDATA.filename (or somesuch) to $FILE_NAME in a rewrite rule. That way,
it will be automatically available on the receiving end, and you can
transform them in whatever way you prefer.