[syslog-ng] I need assistance converting a syslog-ng.conf file from V 1.5.16 to 3.2.4...

Scheidler, Balázs balazs.scheidler at balabit.com
Thu Jun 25 08:53:36 CEST 2015

Hi,

The warning about match means that match() without an explicit value()
option tries to match against the value of the format $PROGRAM[$PID]:
$MSGHDR$MSG which happens to be the same as $MSG in syslog-ng before 3.0.

Post 3.0 these values were split, and to mimic the old behavior syslog-ng
needs to create this artificial value which is a lot slower than matching
against specific name value pairs.

So either use match() with value('MSG') or use the more specific filters
(message(), program() or whatever). This will improve performance.

@version at the top of the file indicates which syslog-ng version the
config was written for. It is only known by syslog-ng past 3.0. You may
have started the old version in that case.

You can BTW find support from BalaBit that can make your life much easier.
Bazsi