[syslog-ng] Using FIPS complaint OpenSSL with syslog-ng OSE

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Fri Jul 17 10:55:05 CEST 2015

    Saurabh> I see that syslog-ng OSE uses OpenSSL libraries for TLS support.

    Saurabh> If my system has FIPS complaint OpenSSL installed, will syslog-ng OSE use
    Saurabh> those FIPS compliant libraries for TLS support? Do I need any change in the
    Saurabh> syslog-ng OSE's configuration for this?

You can make syslog-ng OSE use the FIPS compliant OpenSSL libraries, but
a lot of things will fail horribly. For example, SQL won't work, and you
will likely need to compile syslog-ng OSE with SQL
disabled. Furthermore, what you will get will *NOT* be FIPS compliant,
because FIPS requires a lot more than using a FIPS-compliant OpenSSL
library.

If you need FIPS compliance, syslog-ng PE can provide that, OSE won't:
even if it starts up (and I have my doubts it would), it will still not
be FIPS compliant.