[syslog-ng] couple questions - geoip and also list archives

Jim Hendrick jrhendri at roadrunner.com
Wed Feb 25 12:25:09 CET 2015

Thanks Balazs,
  I will try some more "controlled" testing using different settings for
syslog-ng resolving and caching.

I think I installed libgeopi-dev (not sure right now - it's installed on
a system at work) so I'll check that package also.

One question on code paths:

If I use an IP address pattern in patterndb (within the message - e.g.
proxy or email logs) where a ${GEO} macro was assigned, will those be
the only things that get resolved? (or by setting a cache within the
syslog-ng config will that enable resolution for ${HOST} as well?

I am (mostly) interested in things like user access to sites by IP
address through the proxy, and wanting to enhance the logs with geoip
data for elasticsearch.

(obviously if it were fast enough, I would add the data for all sites -
but initially I think IP only would be more interesting)

Thanks again!
Jim