[syslog-ng] Understanding Sources & Destinations

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Fri Apr 10 17:10:08 CEST 2015

to address this test cycle we use the following setup:

1. Normal instance of syslog-ng that does the production processing. It also has a pipe source and tags the pipe source with a "TEST" tag. It does all of the normal processing on this source as any other production messages, however, any message with the TEST tag is written in json format to a file source with a "final" flag.

2. Run a second instance of syslog-ng that uses a dbparser to parse a line of the format that we write our syslog lines to file. This instance reads from a pipe source and reformats the syslog line to an "on the wire" format and writes it to the pipe destination matching the pipe source of the production instance

3. To test any messages, we just copy them from the raw syslog files and paste them into the test pipe in #2. Then we examine the json object in the TEST destination of #1.

We have a "test suite" of bad messages that we run as a regression test and compare the json output file to verify functionality.

Works well for us.

Evan.

Evan Rempel                                      erempel at uvic.ca
Senior Systems Administrator                        250.721.7691
Data Centre Services, University Systems, University of Victoria