[syslog-ng] syslog-ng Potential Memory Leak

Tamayo, Andres Andres.Tamayo at viasat.com
Wed Mar 19 23:13:49 CET 2014

Hello,

I have been testing syslog-ng under different scenarios and I noticed that when syslog-ng is trying to connect to an external syslog-ng server, it exhibits what could be called a memory leak.

Let me explain how I am setting up my test.  I have a syslog-ng client running collecting logs from a file (source) and sending them to an external syslog-ng server over TCP (destination).  If the syslog-ng server is online, the syslog-ng client daemon process virtual memory does not increase. Now, when I kill the syslog-ng server, the syslog-ng client daemon process starts to request more and more virtual memory.

Here are the details:

I started both the syslog-ng client and server and started to send logs from the client to the server.  At this point, the syslog-ng client daemon maintained its VmSize equal to 7144 Kbytes.  This condition was stable for 4 hours while the server was online.

Then, after 4 hours, I killed the syslog-ng server.  As soon as I did that, the syslog-ng client daemon virtual memory size started to increate every few seconds.  Started at 7144 Kbytest and after 4 hours VmSize was equal to 7752 Kbytes.  So it grew 608 Kbytes over the next 4 hours.

Finally, after the 4 hours I just mentioned, I restarted the syslog-ng server.  All the logs that had not been sent for 4 hours were transmitted to the syslog-ng server in a few seconds.  At this point, the syslog-ng client daemon virtual memory stopped growing and stayed stable for 4 hours.

I think that this behavior may be related to the logs generated every time the client tries to reconnect with the server.  By the way, the client time_reopen configuration was set to 15 seconds.

I am worried that over a long long period of time, if the syslog-ng server is not online, the syslog-ng client daemon may be killed by the OS for using too much memory.

Please let me know if you have any ideas how to fix this problem, thank you.