[syslog-ng] Problems creating syslog-ng.persit- file

Tamayo, Andres Andres.Tamayo at viasat.com
Thu Mar 6 14:10:51 CET 2014

Hello,

I am having problems starting up syslog-ng when I specify the location and name for its persist file.  Here is the way I am trying to start it:

syslog-ng --cfgfile=/etc/syslog-ng.conf --pidfile=/mnt/config/syslog-ng.pid --persist-file=/mnt/config/syslog-ng.persist

When I use this command, syslog-ng starts and creates the /mnt/config/syslog-ng.persist file but it adds a '-' (dash) character to the end of the filename, like this: /mnt/config/syslog-ng.persist-

Then it executes right to the point where it is about to parse the configuration file (I can see this in the debug logs) and stops.  The command return value is 2.  I have seen syslog-ng return 0 on success and 1 on failure but I do not know what is the meaning of 2 as the return value.

I tried the same filename but a different location (/tmp) and it worked.  The filename did not have the appended '-' and syslog-ng returned 0.  The location I am trying to use is a flash memory mount that has JFFS2 file system.  I wonder if this is part of the problem.

I tried to change the name of the persist file to something different like: --persist-file=/mnt/config/something.else and the behavior is the same.  The file is created like this: /mnt/config/something.else- and syslog-ng returns 2.

Does anybody know why the '-' is appended to the filename or what is the meaning of a 2 return value?

Thank you for your help.