[syslog-ng] need help debugging some network received logs that aren't writing to files

Chris Moody chris at node-nine.com
Thu Mar 6 03:56:50 CET 2014

ok - sorry for the latent reply folks - got wrangled into other
troubleshooting efforts.

Anyway, I've taken a deeper look at this and I'm experiencing this
behavior when receiving logs from IOS, Nexus, and other device types as
well..so it's not just some weird version/bug type issue with the
received messages.

The log hosts are both running:
===
syslog-ng 3.2.5
===

These are RHEL 6.2 VirtualMachines, each logging to their own dedicated
5-TB NFS mount.  Plenty of CPU & Memory overhead. I'm not seeing any
issues with I/O-wait to the NFS mounts.  These hosts are -very- busy
(from loads of firewall logs) but have been working beautifully in the
past.  This seems to be a relatively recent development...not sure how
long though unfortunately.

There are about 1000 current active spools on each host that are
updating just fine when new messages come in.  I'm just experiencing
where some of the spool files have gone stale and don't get written to
any longer (despite messages being received) as well as no new spools
get created.  It's like the destination directive isn't being adhered-to.
===
destination net_perhost {
         file("/data/log/per-host/$HOST"
         owner(root)
         group(nwadmin)
         perm(0755)
         );
};
===
This should be creating a new log spool per-host upon receipt of logs
over the wire...and it's working...but not 100% any longer it seems.

I've done tcpdump captures of the nodes that I'm having trouble with and
I do see the source-IP in all the 'hostname' fields...so it's not like
these are coming through as malformed which was a good first-pass
thought.  Even tried toggling 'keep_hostname' to no (currently 'yes')
and that doesn't seem to help.

I have tried sending logs from some new systems to these aggregators and
they are not creating new spools either.  I've run tcpdump to confirm
the message receipt, but no new files are being written for new devices
either.

It's almost behaving like perhaps there's too many files being written
to...too many open filehandles... something along these lines perhaps.

Hoping for some other outside-perspective ideas of things I can check or
debug as I've been trying to debug this too long...and am most likely
staring at the issue right in the face.

-Chris