[syslog-ng] Installing multiple instances of Syslog-NG

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Tue Mar 4 18:31:54 CET 2014

You don't need to copy the binary, but you do need to specify a uniq set of configuration files, persistence files and control socket.

You also need to ensure that the second instance does NOT read data from the local OS log sources such as
/dev/log
/proc/kmsg

our second instance looks like

syslog-ng --cfgfile=/usr/local/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.files.conf --persist-file=/var/local/syslog-ng.files.persist --pidfile=/var/run/syslog-ng.files.pid --control=/var/local/syslog-ng.files.ctl

Hope that helps.