[syslog-ng] [ANN] syslog-ng 3.5 and 3.6 release plans

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Tue Jun 24 11:28:14 CEST 2014

Hi!

I described my plans for syslog-ng maintainance last October[1], and
promised that I will give ample warning when 3.6 is about to hit beta.
Here's the warning: I plan to release either an alpha, or a beta of 3.6
in early September (I will aim for beta, with an alpha in August), at
which point, the 3.3 branch will no longer be maintained, and will be
removed from my Debian repository[2] too. At that point, 3.4 will become
a maintainance release, 3.5 will be stable, and 3.6 will be the feature
branch.

 [1]: https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2013-October/020831.html
 [2]: http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/projects/debian/

However, I'd like to cut down on my tasks, and trying to maintain three
versions of syslog-ng is quite a big burden, and I feel I'm not really
doing a good job of taking care of the oldest version. Therefore, I'll
try to deprecate 3.4 much quicker, and came up with the following plan:

 * When 3.5.5 is released (mid-July, if all goes well), I will switch
   the "syslog-ng" component of my Debian repo to 3.5. "syslog-ng-devel"
   will point to the same place. The 3.4 branch will remain available
   under the "syslog-ng-3.4" component, of course.

   One reason I feel this is safe to do, is because most distros
   migrated to 3.5 already, so 3.4 is not really in use. Also, with 3.5,
   you get the Incubator as a bonus, and increasing Incubator use would
   be great, too.

 * When 3.6 hits, I'd like to declare 3.4 "deprecated", and stop
   supporting it in a few months. This means that in 2015, I'd like to
   maintain only 3.5 and 3.6.

This could all change, mind you, if there's enough demand for the
maintainance of three versions. If you have good reasons for using 3.4,
or wishing there were three maintained branches, do let me know!