[syslog-ng] compiling problems --enable-mongodb --enable-json --enable-redis

jrhendri at roadrunner.com jrhendri at roadrunner.com
Mon Jul 21 22:15:22 CEST 2014

Hi,

  I am trying to get syslog-ng to be the front-end for a larger log collection architecture including mongodb, redis, elasticsearch, possibly logstash & kibana.

  Have been trying to build syslog-ng with the necessary modules and failing miserably.

  I know it must be me - that said, I have spent several hours trying to get this to compile on both RHEL 5 and Ubuntu 14.04

I ran into a few things that might be useful (or not), but since the platforms and libraries installed are different, yet the end error is the same I thought I would ask for other eyes / brains to help here...

Thanks for any assistance!

Jim

RHEL 5:
I have installed json-c & redis-stable which provides these libraries:

./redis-stable/deps/hiredis/hiredis.h
./redis-stable/deps/hiredis/libhiredis.a

and created links here to try and get around issues:
/usr/lib/hiredis
/usr/lib/hiredis/libhiredis.a
/usr/include/hiredis
/usr/include/hiredis/hiredis.h

configure succeeds with this:
 Modules:
  Module search path          : /usr/local/lib/syslog-ng
  Sun STREAMS support (module): no
  SSL support (module)        : no
  SQL support (module)        : no
  PACCT module (EXPERIMENTAL) : no
  MongoDB destination (module): yes
  JSON support (module)       : yes
  SMTP support (module)       : no
  AMQP destination (module)   : yes
  STOMP destination (module)  : yes
  GEOIP support (module)      : no
  Redis support (module)      : yes

Make fails here:

  CC       modules/redis/modules_redis_libredis_la-redis-grammar.lo
  CC       modules/redis/modules_redis_libredis_la-redis.lo
  CC       modules/redis/modules_redis_libredis_la-redis-parser.lo
  CCLD     modules/redis/libredis.la
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lhiredis
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [modules/redis/libredis.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
[n0142566 at VDDP13E-F1A47ED syslog-ng-3.5.4.1]$

Ubuntu:
I have installed json-c, redis-stable & libredis:
/usr/local/lib/libredis.so.1.0.0
/usr/local/lib/libredis.1
/usr/local/lib/libredis.la
/usr/local/include/redis.h

configure succeeds with this:

 Modules:
  Module search path          : /usr/local/lib/syslog-ng
  Sun STREAMS support (module): no
  SSL support (module)        : yes
  SQL support (module)        : no
  PACCT module (EXPERIMENTAL) : no
  MongoDB destination (module): yes
  JSON support (module)       : yes
  SMTP support (module)       : no
  AMQP destination (module)   : yes
  STOMP destination (module)  : yes
  GEOIP support (module)      : no
  Redis support (module)      : yes

Make fails with:

  CC       modules/redis/modules_redis_libredis_la-redis-grammar.lo
  CC       modules/redis/modules_redis_libredis_la-redis.lo
  CC       modules/redis/modules_redis_libredis_la-redis-parser.lo
  CCLD     modules/redis/libredis.la
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lhiredis
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [modules/redis/libredis.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
[n0142566 at picard:~/src/syslog-ng-3.5.5$