[syslog-ng] [ANN]: Incubator news, Debian/Ubuntu packages

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Jan 24 19:49:15 CET 2014

Hi!

I have recently released version 0.1.1 of the syslog-ng Incubator
project[1], which includes a brand new destination: Lua. With this, you
can write destination plugins without having to touch C, or compile
anything. It does have its limitations and issues still, but it is
usable to the point that an example ElasticSearch plugin is included
with the sources.

I also made Debian and Ubuntu packages[2] out of the new release, which
includes all modules (the new Lua one, and the ones I described on my
blog[3] some time ago). However, unlike the syslog-ng packages, these
are only available for Ubuntu Precise and newer, or Debian Wheezy and
newer. Ubuntu Lucid and Debian Squeeze are not supported, and will not
be. If you're using syslog-ng 3.5 packages, the new modules will
automatically appear, as they are put into the same repository (they
will not be automatically installed, however, not even when using the
syslog-ng meta-package).

Also, while I was there, I disabled Ubuntu Raring in the repository: it
will be reaching its end of life this month, so no new updates will be
made (and the Incubator is not available for it, either). It will stay
in the repository for a while, though.

 [1]: https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng-incubator
 [2]: http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/projects/debian/
 [3]: http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/blog/2013/12/29/the-incubator/