[syslog-ng] syslog-ng stats and performance

Jesse Bowling jessebowling at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 22:59:21 CET 2014

Hello,

I'm running into an issue where we're fairly certain that we're dropping
log messages somewhere along this path:

device -> network -> VMware -> RHEL host -> syslog-ng

What I'd like to understand better is what statistics I can gather from
syslog-ng itself to help show or rule out drops in the software. I'm using
the following general config:

syslog-ng 3.2.5
Installer-Version: 3.2.5
Revision: ssh+git://bazsi@git.balabit
//var/scm/git/syslog-ng/syslog-ng-ose--mainline--3.2#master#9d4bea28198bd731df1a61e980a2af5b88d81116
Compile-Date: Jan 15 2012 19:47:30
Enable-Threads: on
Enable-Debug: off
Enable-GProf: off
Enable-Memtrace: off
Enable-Sun-STREAMS: off
Enable-IPv6: on
Enable-Spoof-Source: on
Enable-TCP-Wrapper: on
Enable-SSL: off
Enable-SQL: on
Enable-Linux-Caps: off
Enable-Pcre: on
Enable-Pacct: off

options {
        flush_lines (100);
        time_reopen (2);
        log_iw_size(100);
        log_fifo_size (65536);
        log_msg_size(8192);
        long_hostnames (off);
        use_dns(yes);
        use_fqdn(yes);
        keep_hostname (no);
        stats_freq(3600);
        stats_level(1);
        dns_cache(yes);
        keep_timestamp(no);
};

When I looked at "syslog-ng-ctl stats" I see these "types"

dropped
processed
stamp
stored

However I only see "dropped" counters for tcp destinations, and not for any
of the sources or local destinations. Does "dropped" only make sense in the
remote destination case? Is there anything I can turn on/examine to tune my
syslog-ng performance and verify whether I have drops occurring within
syslog-ng?

For the RHEL host portion I've tried watching netstat -su and netstat -st
but the error counters for those do not seem to indicate that the level of
issue we're seeing lies there. The processor for syslog-ng is busy, but
averages 75%...

Is it foolish to expect VMware to keep up with the level of logs we're
taking in? Might virtualization be hiding drops from me?

Any help appreciated...

Cheers,

Jesse

--