[syslog-ng] [syslog-ng 3.6.1] booting with openrc, but syslog-ng thinks i boot with sytemd

LoneVVolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 4 11:35:39 CET 2014

On 04-12-14 09:58, Tibor Benke wrote:
> I think you've found a bug in service-management.c:
>
> https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/blob/master/lib/service-management.c#L158-L171
>
> If you have syslog-ng compiled with --enable-systemd, it will always
> be the active service-management unit. I thought we addressed this in
> a patch by jviktor.
Tibor,

Is that code run during compiling/building or at run-time ?
Archlinux developers build packages on machines with an archlinux base
installation with systemd installed & active .
If service-management.c is executed at build-time, that would explain
why syslog-ng tries to use systemd on my system.

Given the multi-platform support of syslog-ng i would expect such checks
to be executed at run-time .

> <mailto:bazsi77 at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Also, you might want to use the system() source, which tries to
>     determine the optimal setup to fetch local messages. So no need to
>     use I unix-dgram or internal directly.

Balazs, thanks for the tip. After the problem is fixed, i'll look into
using that.