[syslog-ng] Recommended Data base

Fabien Wernli wernli at in2p3.fr
Tue Aug 19 08:59:33 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 08:33:26AM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> -> ElasticSearch -> Kibana for visualisation and shorter-term (a few
> months, maybe, depending on the amount of logs you have) storage. For
> archival purposes, I'd use text files with rotation and compression,
> alongside ES+Kibana.

The ELK developers claim that the storage overhead of ES over text files is
a factor of 3. In my experience, if you don't compress additionally (e.g.
using ZFS) it's more like tenfold, but then again we do add some structure
to the events.

> I found that text files are much more efficiently compressed than
> databases, so if your concern is size, then by all means, use files for
> archival. Nothing stops you from using a DB alongside it for other
> purposes.

I second that: use a Kibana-like interface with appropriate storage for
search, and text for archiving. We used to have a very small footprint using
text files on a compressed+deduplicated ZFS, but then again, grep sucks.
The additional benefit of having the "raw" text files is to be able to
do a rerun of your analysis/indexing that feeds your search backend.

Just to give you some figures, here's a table of a few of our Elasticsearch
indices:

index             pri rep docs.count  store.size pri.store.size
syslog-2014.08.06  24   1   65347459      53.2gb         26.6gb
syslog-2014.08.19  24   1   16801481      12.9gb          6.5gb
syslog-2014.08.05  24   1   63663738      49.8gb         24.9gb

As you can see, one event takes roughly 512 bytes of storage, doubled up
because we have one replica.

Cheers