[syslog-ng] Recommended Data base

Jim Hendrick jrhendri at roadrunner.com
Tue Aug 19 02:13:58 CEST 2014

Hmmm - I have done some testing but not settled on the perfect solution
(yet).

- I have multi-line logs being parsed by a program destination and then
writing to mongodb (perl parser)
- I have started testing straight mongo, but getting the right data in
the right fields seems important
- I have done very basic testing with syslog-ng --> redis which I am
planning on then --> elasticsearch
   (I may need to stick Logstash in between redis and elasticsearch)

In general, any relational database (SQL) wins when you can represent
the relationships in the schema.

"nosql" like mongo typically wins with unstructured data, but at a space
penalty (needing to store json format)

If I had to pick one *right now* I would probably use syslog-ng -->
redis --> logstash --> elasticsearch --> kibana
The (R) ELK stack has a lot of support and development, and is pretty
close to a free splunk.

Although I can see using a sharded/replicated mongodb having some basic
advantages, but I have not (yet) found the perfect way to do ad-hoc
queries against the store.

Good luck (and report back!)

Thanks,
Jim