[syslog-ng] Ubuntu Precise -ng filling out buffer, dropping messages

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Tue Apr 29 12:24:09 CEST 2014

Hi!

Chaman Chakalaka <chebannedmeagain at hotmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to process ~800 UDP messages second, which I don't think is
> much. The current setup worked fine in Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) and
> syslog-ng 2.6 (I believe). I'm running into what I believe is receive
> buffer problems on Ubuntu Server 12.04 (Precise) w/ ng 3.XX

First of all, what's the exact version of your syslog-ng? Precise has a
fairly old version, one that's... not exactly the best release. I'd
suggest you give a try to the packages at:
  http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/projects/debian/

I'd suggest the syslog-ng 3.5 branch from there, and see if the problem
persists with an upgraded syslog-ng. If it persists, let us know, and
we'll help debug the issue further.