[syslog-ng] Millisecond Resolution Timestamps

Balazs Scheidler bazsi77 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 16:32:34 CEST 2014

On Apr 15, 2014 8:33 PM, "David Hauck" <davidh at netacquire.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:10 AM, syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.huwrote:
> > If you are using the S_* macros then you will get the time stamp that
> > the application places into the log line.
> > That is usually a time stamp with no subsecond data.
>
> I'm curious about why this is? You mention this "usually"  contains no
sub-second granularity: under what conditions is this not true (i.e., when
would this actually contain sub-second granularity)?

The syslog() API doesn't send such timestamps. So unless the app has a
custom log implementation, no such information becomes available.

> > If you use the R_* macros for your date/time then you should get the
> > subsecond resolution.
>
> Thanks, I'm using ISODATE in my custom template (just like the default
template). Looking closely I see that I can use the S_ and R_ variants with
this macro. Changing my template to use "R_ISODATE" does indeed fix this.