[syslog-ng] syslog-ng uses 100% cpu

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Tue Apr 15 12:04:40 CEST 2014

Yakup Kaya <yakup at labrisnetworks.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> My problem is syslog-ng is using 100% CPU. When I trace the process
> for about 1 minute I get output as follows. As you can see epoll_wait
> and clock_gettime system calls are causing the problem. My syslog-ng
> version is 3.3.4. In the older versions I did not have such problems
> (e.g. 2.0.9). I would like to ask what exactly these system calls are
> used for and is there a configuration option or parameter to disable
> these calls or tune them?

I would strongly recommend upgrading to a newer version of syslog-ng, as
there have been numerous fixes since 3.3.4 that could possibly fix your
issue too.

If you're using Debian or Ubuntu (by using 3.3.4 which is in Ubuntu
Precise and Debian Wheezy, I assume you do), you can find updated
packages at http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/projects/debian/