[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng build issue (Autoconf?)

Bendler, Ehren ebendler at ciena.com
Thu Apr 10 15:27:38 CEST 2014

Our build environment:
Autoconf 2.68
Automake 1.11.3
m4 1.4.16
libtool 2.4.2
gcc 4.6.3 (cross compiling to PPC)

We get this error when building syslog-ng 3.5.4.1:
./configure: line 12794: syntax error near unexpected token `-Wno-pointer-sign,'
./configure: line 12794: `AX_CFLAGS_GCC_OPTION(-Wno-pointer-sign, CFLAGS_NOWARN_POINTER_SIGN)'

When I comment out that line in configure.ac (since we don't use that flag), I get an error from libmongo complaining about not having automake 1.14+ and that it only tries to build it because I changed the AC file. I tried to get around that by disabling mongodb support in the configure flags, but it still tries to build that library.

I'd prefer to just get rid of the initial error. At the moment I am thinking it is related to our GNU Autotools versions, but I need confirmation of that before I can go ask the powers that be for updates. Or if that isn't the problem, alternate suggestions are appreciated.

-Ehren Bendler