[syslog-ng] Odd issue from MS Windows with file date stamps

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Fri Nov 8 04:12:19 CET 2013

I am having an issue with tailing log files in Ms Windows.

I have configured the Syslog-ng Agent for windows to tail the latest
file in a folder.
This works very well.
At some point the application decides it is going to "foll over" its log
files so it start
a new log file.

At the point the new log file is created, the modified time of the new
file is set, and it does
NOT change until the file is closed (that alone seems odd, but I have
watched this happen).

Since the old/previous log file had some data in flight, by the time it
flushes to disk and the file
is closed it is after the new file has been created. The old/previous
file gets its modified time updated,
and now it appears to be the most recent.

The result is that the "current" file does not appear as the most recent
until such time as it is closed.
syslog-ng then dumps the entire file to the central syslog server and
then waits until the new file
gets closed.

This means that the central syslog server receives the log messages in
batches every 10-15 minutes, or however
long it takes for the next file to reach its maximum size and get rolled
over.

Has anyone experienced this?

More to the point, can anyone offer a solution?

Evan.