[syslog-ng] Debian & Ubuntu packages for syslog-ng

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Wed Nov 6 10:45:26 CET 2013

As a reminder, and following Peter's FreeBSD & SuSE package news, for
our Debian or Ubuntu users, I'm hosting syslog-ng 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5
packages for a wide range of distributions (see below), available at:
 http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/projects/debian/

syslog-ng 3.3 packages are available for Ubuntu Lucid, Precise, Raring,
and Saucy (for both i386 and amd64 architectures) along with Debian
Squeeze, Wheezy, Jessie and unstable (i386, amd64 and powerpc
architectures). The syslog-ng 3.4 and 3.5 packages are also available
for Ubuntu Trusty.

The syslog-ng 3.3 package will be maintained for all of these platforms
for as long as the 3.3 branch is maintained (and Ubuntu Trusty will be
added to the list if and when 3.3.12 gets released).

Same goes for 3.4 and 3.5: they'll be maintained until their respective
end of life (see my earlier post about that[1]). I will keep adding new
Ubuntu and Debian releases as they come out, and remove them shortly
after they reach their respective end of lives.

 [1]: http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/blog/2013/10/22/syslog-ng-eol-dates/

The easiest way to use the repository is to use the interface on the
website to select the distribution and components, then copy & paste to
/etc/apt/sources.list. But the line to copy follows this pattern:

 deb http://packages.madhouse-project.org/debian wheezy syslog-ng-3.4

Where the end of the URL is either "debian" or "ubuntu", the release is
your release (either the codename, such as "precise" or "wheezy", or
version number like "12.04" or "7.0"), and the last part, the component
is the syslog-ng branch you want.

There is also a syslog-ng and syslog-ng-devel component, which will
always follow the currently recommended branches (3.4 and 3.5 at the
time of this writing), so if you want to update from one stable version
to the other without having to modify your sources.list, I recommend
using one of these aliases.

A quick and easy way to enable the repository is as follows (as root):

# curl https://packages.madhouse-project.org/debian/archive-key.txt | apt-key add -
# echo "deb http://packages.madhouse-project.org/$(lsb_release -is | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]') " \
            "$(lsb_release -cs | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]') " \
            "syslog-ng" \