[syslog-ng] git repository reorganization

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue Nov 5 17:54:20 CET 2013

Hi,

Until now, we have had separate git repositories for syslog-ng on
github, one for each major version. This seemed logical at the time,
since we do split maintenance, Algernon is doing the maintenance for
older trees, whereas I maintain the latest version. Also, this is how I
used to do it on my internal trees.

However, this complicates things for people who want to follow syslog-ng
development, whenever we create a new major release, they have to follow
a different repository. Difficult to track forks, see all releases in
one place, etc.

Since git is perfectly capable of storing multiple major releases in the
same git repository, I think it would be the best to let the multiple
repositories idea go and stick to a single repository model in the
future.

To model this idea, I have created this repository on github, and pushed
3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 HEADs here:

https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng

Branch names would be as follows:
  - master: the latest HEAD where development is happening on the latest
    release

  - 3.3/master, 3.4/master, 3.5/master: the HEAD for maintained old
    major releases

  - topic branches destined for a specific major release would be named
    3.X/<branch>, topic branches for the latest version would omit the
    version number prefix.

  - tags indicate releases, they are named after the respective release
    for example: v3.4.5

I hope this makes things simpler for everyone in the long term.

If anyone has feedback, I'd love to hear them now, before announcing
this to the general public and update references everywhere.

Thanks in advance,