[syslog-ng] insider 2013-05: syslog-ng configurator on Android; Using syslog-ng with Splunk; EU data protection and logging

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Thu May 16 13:12:52 CEST 2013

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 24th issue of the syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter
that brings you syslog-ng related news.

FEATURED NEWS

syslog-ng configurator app for Android

--------------------------------------

There is now a new configurator app available for Android, developed as
a hobby project by one of the syslog-ng team members. The focus of the
application is to create a syslog-ng.conf wich provides optimum
performance based on a number of questions.

For more details and download locations read the authors blog at
http://pzolee.blogs.balabit.com/2013/04/little-syslog-ng-configurator-application-for-android/

syslog-ng and Splunk

--------------------

We often receive questions, how to use syslog-ng and Splunk together in
a logging infrastructure. We collected the most popular usage scenarios
into a white paper, together with example configurations to make testing
and integration even more easy.

The WP is available at
http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/pdf/syslog-ng_splunk_deployment_guide_en.pdf

syslog-ng is participating GSoC again

-------------------------------------

Just as last year, syslog-ng is participating Google Summer of Code
under the umbrella of the openSUSE project. We have candidates for
developing a native mysql destination, a redis destination, a XMPP
(jabber) destination and log signing, which is a big improvement from
last year, where we only had a single candidate for a similar number of
development projects. The application process is closed now and there
are still a couple of weeks to go, before the final list of approved
students is announced.

http://news.opensuse.org/2013/04/25/opensuse-hedgewars-and-owncloud-are-moving-gsoc-along-participate-and-submit-your-proposals-fast/

Big changes ahead for EU data protection regulation

This summer will most likely bring big changes in the regulation of Data
Protection in the European Union. We collected these proposed changes
and also how syslog-ng and proper central log management can help to
comply with these regulations:

http://jluby.blogs.balabit.com/2013/04/22/big-changes-ahead-for-eu-
<http://jluby.blogs.balabit.com/2013/04/22/big-changes-ahead-for-eu-data-protection-regulation/>data-protection-regulation/
<http://jluby.blogs.balabit.com/2013/04/22/big-changes-ahead-for-eu-data-protection-regulation/>

Compiling syslog-ng with MS SQL support on RHEL / CentOS & Co.

During the past few months many people asked, how to log from syslog-ng
to MS SQL on RHEL or CentOS. If you cannot buy syslog-ng PE
(http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/central-syslog-server),
follow these steps to compile all the necessary components yourselfand
configure the MS SQL part:

https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2013/04/compiling-syslog-ng-with-ms-sql-support-for-rhel-centos-co/

SHORT NEWS:

  *

    RFC5424 syslog between syslog-ng and rsyslog:
    https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2013/04/using-the-rfc5424-syslog-protocol-with-plain-tcp-between-rsyslog-and-syslog-ng/

  *

    Linuxwochen: syslog-ng, AMQP, and 3D printers:
    http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2013/05/czp-linuxwochen-syslog-ng-amqp-and-3d-printers/

Your feedback and news tips about the next issue is welcome at
documentation at balabit.com <mailto:documentation at balabit.com> To read
this newsletter on-line, visit: http://insider.blogs.balabit.com/

--
Peter Czanik (CzP) <czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream