[syslog-ng] Problems with failed connections and time_reopen()?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi77 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 22:51:59 CEST 2013

On May 6, 2013 6:53 PM, "Matt Wise" <matt at nextdoor.com> wrote:

> We're running Syslog-NG 3.3.4 in our mixed Ubuntu 10/12 environment. We
use SSL for all of our syslog-to-syslog connections, and have logging going
to two different data pipelines.

>   Data Dest #1: SyslogNG Client ----(SSL)----> SyslogNG Server ------>
Logstash File-read-in-service
>   Data Dest #2: SyslogNG Client ----(SSL)----> Stunnel Service ------>
Flume Syslog Service

> The data streams work fine most of the time, but if we restart either the
remote syslog-ng server, or the stunnel service, it seems that the syslog
ng clients don't try to reconnect for a LONG time (or ever) to the
endpoints again. I end up seeing the connection on the client go into a
CLOSE_WAIT state, and syslog-ng keeps thinking that its sending log events
through the connection, so it seems to never try to reconnect.

> I've tried setting time_reopen() to 0, 1 and 5... no luck or change in
behavior.

Hmmm it really sounds strange. 3.3.4 does seem old though. Can you give the
latest 3.3 maintenance release a try? Algernon has s binaries for a large
number of debian/Ubuntu releases.

http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/?product=syslog-ng