[syslog-ng] Problems with failed connections and time_reopen()?

Matt Wise matt at nextdoor.com
Mon May 6 18:53:12 CEST 2013

We're running Syslog-NG 3.3.4 in our mixed Ubuntu 10/12 environment. We use SSL for all of our syslog-to-syslog connections, and have logging going to two different data pipelines.

  Data Dest #1: SyslogNG Client ----(SSL)----> SyslogNG Server ------> Logstash File-read-in-service
  Data Dest #2: SyslogNG Client ----(SSL)----> Stunnel Service ------> Flume Syslog Service

The data streams work fine most of the time, but if we restart either the remote syslog-ng server, or the stunnel service, it seems that the syslog ng clients don't try to reconnect for a LONG time (or ever) to the endpoints again. I end up seeing the connection on the client go into a CLOSE_WAIT state, and syslog-ng keeps thinking that its sending log events through the connection, so it seems to never try to reconnect.

I've tried setting time_reopen() to 0, 1 and 5... no luck or change in behavior.

Any thoughts?

--Matt