[syslog-ng] syslog-ng leaves a lot of open file handles

Anton Koldaev koldaevav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 11:47:32 CEST 2013

> It is a bit hard to believe that after receiving a HUP signal syslog-ng
keeps destination files open, keep-alive isn't implemented there. did you
signal the supervisor process maybe?

*# pgrep -fl syslog-ng*
30742 supervising syslog-ng
30743 /usr/sbin/syslog-ng -p /var/run/syslog-ng.pid --fd-limit 262144

*# lsof -p 30743 | grep -c deleted*
285

*# kill -HUP 30743*

*# echo $?*
0

*# lsof -p 30743 | grep -c deleted*
290

>I'd check syslog-ng's messages.

The only one message is there:
*Jul 24 09:40:50 syslog-host syslog-ng[30743]: Configuration reload request
received, reloading configuration;*
*
*
*
*
> BTW did you check whether the file is still being written or not?

Syslog-NG started to write to the new file at 23:59:59 just as it should.
I'm seeing new log lines in the new log files started at 00:00:05. So it
seems to be ok.

> You're using the date extracted from the incoming log messages so when a
client still sends logs with the given day then syslog-ng will keep writing
to that file so it won't close it - thus if another process unlinked it
then lsof will show the file as deleted.

All the apps are configured to send logs in UTC as well as syslog-ng host
is configured in UTC. Just re-checked it, the time seems to be in sync
everywhere.
*
*

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Sandor Geller <
Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com> wrote:

> It is a bit hard to believe that after receiving a HUP signal syslog-ng
> keeps destination files open, keep-alive isn't implemented there. did you
> signal the supervisor process maybe? I'd check syslog-ng's messages.
>
> BTW did you check whether the file is still being written or not? You're
> using the date extracted from the incoming log messages so when a client
> still sends logs with the given day then syslog-ng will keep writing to
> that file so it won't close it - thus if another process unlinked it then
> lsof will show the file as deleted.
>

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Anton Koldaev <koldaevav at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm using Syslog-NG OSE v.3.3.7-1~mhp1~lucid (Ubuntu Lucid)
>> And I have the following destination file():
>>
>> file("/u/logs/`app`/${MONTH}${DAY}/${1}/${1}${2}/${LOGSORT.ACCOUNT}.log"
>>
>> Syslog-NG switches to the new file at 23:59:59 every day just fine but
>> for some reason it leaves files for the previous day open:
>> *# date*
>> Wed Jul 24 09:04:19 UTC 2013
>> *# lsof | grep a/ac/account.log*
>> syslog-ng 30743     root 3351w      REG              252,2    72597491
>> 66306075 /u/logs/app/0723/a/ac/account.log (deleted)
>> syslog-ng 30743     root 4896w      REG              252,2    17017519
>>  4572052 /u/logs/app/0724/a/ac/account.log
>>
>> And they're being deleted by my rotating script.
>> Reloading syslog-ng using init script or with `kill -HUP` doesn't help -
>> all deleted files are still open by syslog-ng.
>> Global option "time_reap (30);" doesn't seem to help too.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Koldaev Anton