[syslog-ng] Flow-control

Anton Koldaev koldaevav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 08:16:44 CET 2013

I talked to algernon in IRC yesterday:
[14:33] <iroller_> algernon: could you explain please what happens when
syslog-ng stops reading the source(flow-control enabled)? As I understand
if the source is "file()" it will stop reading it at current position and
will continue later at the same postition, right? What if I have tcp source
where my app is sending logs all the time?
[14:39] <algernon> iroller_: in case of tcp(), it will stop reading from
there, kernel buffers will fill up, and the remote end will slow down. if
messages pile up there, and fill the sending syslogd's buffers, then
they'll likely be dropped on that side
[14:40] <iroller_> algernon: so by enabling flow-control we're just
switching from syslog-ng's fifo buffer to kernel buffers, right?
[14:41] <algernon> as far as I understand, yes. (I'm not using flow control
anywhere, and my knowledge of how it works in syslog-ng is a bit rusty,
unfortunately)
[14:44] <iroller_> we need more balabit guys here :)

Bazsi, could you please give some more information on it? What's the
purpose of switching from fifo to kernel buffers?

--
Best regards,
Koldaev Anton