[syslog-ng] No "-n" switch for syslog-ng?

Jakub Jankowski shasta at toxcorp.com
Sat Feb 23 20:14:23 CET 2013

On 2013-02-23, Gergely Nagy wrote:

>>> I'm fairly sure this is an issue with one of the unit files. But if it
>>> turns out that systemd does add an implicit -n under some circumstances,
>>> then syslog-ng should support that, for compatibility's sake.
>>
>> *If* systemd added an implicit -n somewhere, that would be an extremely
>> stupid idea, and I really see no reason why apps should change just to
>> accomodate such idiocy.
>
> I'm quite sure it is not systemd itself, but in the off-chance it is, an
> alias of -n to -F is about one line. If it were more than that, I would
> be strongly against it too.

I would be strongly against it even if would just be one character. One
shouldn't bend over for stuff like that, really. *If* there's an
assumption in systemd about command line switches in 3rd party software,
it's a bug in systemd and you should shout at them LOUD until it is
fixed there, not here.

*If*, because...

> But chances are, it's a rogue unit file somewhere.

Agreed.

Regards,
  Jakub.

--
Jakub Jankowski|shasta at toxcorp.com|http://toxcorp.com/
GPG: FCBF F03D 9ADB B768 8B92 BB52 0341 9037 A875 942D