[syslog-ng] Systemd troubles: incompatibility with journald ?

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Feb 8 12:57:47 CET 2013

Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello list.
>
> I'm unable to run syslog-ng, whatever the version (I tried 3.3.6 and
> 3.4.1), on a recent system using systemd (mageia cauldron 64 bits,
> systemd 195). As soon as I'm launching syslog-ng, systemd and
> systemd-journal cpu usages reach 80/95%, and systemd fill dmesg log with
> this kind of message:
> [ 5962.484250] systemd[1]: syslog-ng.service start request repeated too
> quickly, refusing to start

As it was found in the bug report too, the problem was due to the
missing /var/syslog-ng directory. A similar problem was also recently
reported in Debian:

The Debian report has the better fix, I believe. But indeed, this is a
packaging error, but one that should be documented, and one that can be
worked around with a change to the syslog-ng unit file.

I'll probably update the syslog-ng unit file, and/or write some
documentation regarding syslog-ng and systemd, aimed at packagers.