[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng 3.4 ans json output.

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Sat Feb 2 13:47:57 CET 2013

Evan Rempel <erempel at uvic.ca> writes:

> I am looking at the json output module and am wondering on how fast it should run.
>  From what I have tested, it can only handle a sustained stream of approx 2,500 - 3,000 messages
> per second.
>
> This seems too slow to me, so I ask others if anyone is having a problem with the performance of
> the json output macro.

That is, indeed slow, but it's not suprising, the code around
format-json isn't the most performant thing. I plan to improve on that
in the future.

> To the developers - is this expected? It seems to be the same speed
> under 3.3 and 3.4.

That is - at least to me - good news, because in 3.4, format-json became
a lot smarter. If we managed to keep the same speed, that's not bad!

Nevertheless, this is an issue I'm aware of, and have plans to improve
the situation. I'm not entirely sure I can do that within the scope of
3.4, but there's a possibility I can make improvements even there. We'll
see, as soon as I get there on my TODO list.