[syslog-ng] syslog-ng v3.3.4 on Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS x_64 has a memory leak

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Thu Apr 11 16:42:44 CEST 2013

Sandor Geller <Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com> writes:

> Quiting from the NEWS file of 3.3.5:
>
>         Bugfixes:
>         =========
>         * Fixed a significant memory leak that occurred when the receiver
>           side of a syslog connection is slower than syslog-ng. The message
>           which we got EAGAIN for got leaked.
>
>         * Fixed another memory leak that caused the complete queue for
>           socket based destination drivers to be leaked at reload time.
>
>         * Fixed a memory leak related to handling TLS enabled connections.
>           As connections come and go the TLS context wasn't freed.
>
>         * Fixed a small memory leak that occurred when worker threads exit
>           (and later start again).
>
> Could you upgrade to a newer version?

I would recommend upgrading too. The 3.3.4 in 12.04 is unfortunately a
very bad version. My repository[1] has the latest 3.3.x (3.3.8 at the
moment, soon to become 3.3.9) packaged for pretty much all Ubuntu
versions, 12.04 LTS included.

All you need is to add the following line to sources.list:

deb       http://packages.madhouse-project.org/ubuntu   12.04   syslog-ng-3.3

And import the key I signed the repo with:

 curl https://packages.madhouse-project.org/debian/archive-key.txt | sudo apt-key add -

 [1]: http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/projects/debian/