[syslog-ng] Syslog-NG/MySQL question

James McDonald jmcdonald at LCE.com
Thu Sep 6 17:53:12 CEST 2012

Thanks for the response.  I guess that means I was looking at older
instructions for how to integrate MySQL and Syslog-NG.  I am having trouble
getting syslog-ng to send logs to a MySQL db.   Have you ever done this?
Could you try to help me figure out why I can't get syslog-ng and MySQL to
communicate?  I can send any info that you may need to help.

-----Original Message-----
From: syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu
[mailto:syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu] On Behalf Of Gergely Nagy
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:19 AM
To: Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] Syslog-NG/MySQL question

James McDonald <jmcdonald at LCE.com> writes:

> [root at ustc-syslog2 ~]# /opt/syslog-ng/sbin/syslog-ng -V
[...]
> Available-Modules:
> afsql,license,afsocket-tls,afuser,tfjson,csvparser,affile,dbparser,rlt
> p-prot
> o,afsocket-notls,dummy,confgen,aflogstore,basicfuncs,basic-proto,afsql
> source ,snmp,afsocket,syslogformat,disk-buffer,afprog,convertfuncs
[...]

> Does anyone know what needs to be edited/installed to have the line
> "Enable-SQL: on" be included in that output?

"Enable-SQL: on" will never appear there, because SQL support is done
entirely by the 'afsql' module (which is listed in the Available-Modules,
all versions of syslog-ng PE ship with it). The "Enable-*" flags in that
output are all things that modify the behaviour or feature-set of either the
core program, or of a module. None of them are completely independently
implemented, therefore they're displayed.

SQL support is a separate module, so it is not. syslog-ng PE binaries ship
with everything needed (on the syslog-ng side) for SQL support.

In previous versions of syslog-ng PE (4.0 and before), where SQL support was
not a module, but part of the core application like everything else, the
Enable-SQL thing made sense. With 4.1, this was removed, and replaced by the
afsql module.

If you have further questions regarding PE's SQL support, the guys at
support at balabit.com will gladly help ;)