[syslog-ng] Logical memory leak with statistics

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Wed Sep 5 22:02:40 CEST 2012

It just came to my attention that the syslog-ng-ctl shows statistics
for ALL sources/destination that have ever existed.

This means that if I create a destination template that changes
every second

destination d_something {
	file("/var/log/syslog.log.$S_YEAR$S_MONTH$S_DAY-$S_HOUR$S_MIN$S_SEC"
	 };

that syslog-ng will track 86400 statistics every day.
Over time this will consume memory and eventually require a restart.

Is it possible to create a --clear flag on the stats command that will dump
the current stats and clear them? This would also drop the memory required
to track source/destinations that are no longer open.

Comments?

Evan.